Thursday, February 23, 2012

In trouble...

I love animals especially dogs. Like love...
Josh and I don't have children so our dogs...and cows...and turkeys really are like children to us. We would have an absolute zoo if we didn't have real jobs, a monthly budget, and a homeowner's association. 

Dogs have such a special place in my heart because they really are so genuine and so loving.  Dogs give until they can't give anymore.  They love you on your best day and on your worst. 
How can you not love this face?

I bring all of this up because of how much trouble I get in for rescuing animals, especially dogs. When I see a stray or lost dog wandering down a long road, an actual physical pain in my chest occurs.  My heart starts hurting.  I have to pull over.  I always think of Cedric and Rose, my two pugs, and what would happen if they were lost and lonely and searching for home.  It scares me to death. 


Now, I'll be honest, most of my dog 'rescues' have had funny endings.  Most of the wandering four-legged souls have actually been right where they were 'supposed' to be...or at least a few feet away.  You see I've 'rescued' most of the dogs from their own front yards.  It's rather funny actually.  There have been more dogs than I care to admit that have been out in their own yards (obviously yards without fences), snooping around, without an owner in sight (where are you people!?!) that find their way into my car...normally with a little coaxing.  Sometimes they have then ended up at my vet, getting checked out, and then returned back to their homes once I meet the owners while placing "Found" signs in the area.  Or there have been times when the dog has a collar and I call the number while standing right there a few feet away from the yard...only to have the owner open the door and come out and wave.  This didn't happen just once.  Let's leave it at that. 

So, where does the real trouble come from?  Josh.  Josh has had enough of me calling him crying because I have just seen a lost dog and couldn't pull over due to the whole danger issue...either the dog looked very dangerous or I was in a dangerous location.  He's gotten tired of me calling and proclaiming that, "I have a chihuahua in my lap.  What do I do?"  He's told me more than once that if I bring another four-legged friend home, we already have 4 of our own, he will leave me.  And I'm pretty sure he's very serious.  Saturday we saw a little dog running up a street, looking happy and free, that put me into a crying fit.  We were pulling a very large trailer and could not stop.  We were in a residential neighborhood so Josh tried to reassure me that the dog was just out on a run...getting his fitness on.  I cried for the entire trip home.  Josh quietly patted my arm and shook his head.  I knew he was thinking...crazy, emotional, dog woman!

I know I'm a mess, a total mess.  Do you have a weakness like this?  Am I in this alone?  Am I just nuts?

XOXO (especially to my four legged friends)!

P.S. I may have learned my lesson on rescuing.  Tuesday night I spent over 3 hours trying to get a 'lost' neighbors dog back into her own yard.  A precious little Pomeranian was out loose in the street and was almost accidentally hit by a fellow neighbor.  I went out to save her and spent the next 3 hours trying to contact her owners, figure out what to do with her, get her back in her fence, and keep her in her fence!  Three hours...yep, lesson learned!  Probably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment